Monday, September 5, 2011

More Fun With Goggles

I started a few nights ago with the different sheets of plastic to try to cut these into shapes that would serve as metal plating on the goggles being steampunked.  I used some of my drafting tools to do things like draw rounded off corners and add some interesting angles then cut out the shapes for gluing.  These are some of the things I used:

I found out that the type of plastic that I had picked out is really very thin and I didn't feel like it would make much of an impression on the over all look of the goggles themselves.  Ultimately I am going to put that part on hold and just try to go with some of the other items that I've already collected.  I have several 6/32 wingnuts and cap screws that can both add a sort of a mechanical feel to the project.  I chose to place these around the section of the lense housing that flips up and I tried not to add anything that would interfere with its ability to open.  I used an epoxy that I picked up from Michael's that is specifically designed to adhere plastic and metal.  The cap screw and wingnuts themselves were purchased at an Ace Hardware store for less than $1 per packet of 6 pieces. 

The epoxy was a little tricky at first because I was not used to the how easily the fluids come out of their respective tubes and I ended up putting way too much out on the cardboard mixing surface.  You also have only a couple of minutes to spread the epoxy onto the parts you want to glue down so it is really best to only put out very little when you are attaching a part.  This is what they looked like after I had glued them down:


I had also found a pack of small metal gears at Michaels that were being sold in the scrapbooking section.  These were beside packs of metal clock faces and what were supposed to be tiny clock hands.  None of these were actually functional but the gears were really nice for this project and $6 bought 12 gears that were roughly 1/2" in diameter and some slightly smaller.  Instead of building a large mechanism on the side of the goggles I simply opted for adding two separate gears to give that essential steampunk look.  I know that not everyone is convinced that gears are the key to real steampunk but I like their look and they are pretty important to me.  The epoxy made sticking these on the side really easy:

I've got some larger pieces that I am debating whether or not they need to go on this set of goggles or if I need to save them for the gun or maybe a future set of airship tactical ocular shields.  I think I will take a little break from the construction for right now and pick it up again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment