Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blank Canvas Syndrome


Not the kind of syndrome that will take down an entire nation or anything like that but still devastating nonetheless. This is the type of thing that can also be described as writer's block and it essentially means that with so much in the way of possibility to create in front of you that paralysis sets in. There is a kind of heavy weight on your creative limbs that causes you to slow down drastically and question each of your potential next steps. I think I have come down with a good case of it myself. Good?  Depending on whether the universe needs me to accomplish making plastic guns into some form of art or not I guess owing to your perspective.

If anyone else has experienced this same emotional conundrum then you understand that part of what holds us back in this situation is a sort of combination of a general lack of faith in our own innate abilities as well as a fear of messing up that blank canvas. Let's face it, complete lack of structure in a giant void of pure white has an artistic appeal all its own. Couldn't we imagine being transported into that desert away from any lines or colors and becoming lost in total relaxation from structural reality? The sad thing is though that is all just an excuse. Looking for ways to procrastinate and postpone any chance of failure, perceived or otherwise, is only a mechanism for justifying not even trying in the first place. The ability to envisage multiple possibilities in things we do in our lives can be a double edged sword to say the least.

I think the best cure for me at this point would be to just start creating something, whether I mess up those oddly shaped pieces of plastic and glass canvas or not, and to shake off this dull feeling of inertia. I hope you don't mind my sorting this out online but I believe that is the social norm now anyway. Have a problem, discuss it with the entire world first then seek the advice of your closest friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment