Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Goggles Have It

Now getting back to the things I need for my steampunk outfit I'll present you with the goggles I'm going to use.  These were purchased at a local flea market for about $2 and they are actually welding goggles with a very dark set of safety lenses that flip up on a central hinge.  The lenses can all be removed and the front black plastic section can actually be seperated from the more pliable green one.  I have read on different sites that you can paint these individually then fit them back together but I'm not convinced that this would be the best approach.  You have to bend the green section quite a lot in order to get the more rigid black part back in and I don't know if the paint could withstand it.  I will start by using a can of Krylon Black Fusion paint which is specifically designed for use on plastics.  This will give a base that other paints can stick since most paint tends to rub off of plastic surfaces pretty easily.  Once that has dried I can look into the best formulas for making the goggles look like old tarnished brass or copper.




No comments:

Post a Comment