Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Journey Begins

I am starting this blog to post information, thoughts and a few tips about my take on the steampunk movement.  I really can't say that I have been into steampunk since it started but I have always had an interest in it and I think it has influenced quite a few of my tastes in an unconscious way.  The novels back in the eighties by authors such as James Blaylock, K. W. Jeter and Tim Powers were the first to put this genre into its own classification but I think the overall ideas existed long before then.  Masters such as Jules Verne, H. G. Wells and Mary Shelly seemed to have bent time and reality with machinations built out of cooper and brass.  To this day I feel as though they were the real instigators of this sort of a longing for simplistic devices that could change entire worlds. 

Now, I don't as of yet belong to any groups or organizations that espouse steampunk ideas and values but there are a lot of sites and blogs out there that seem to cover all aspects of the subject.  What I'm going to try to do with my blog is to explore my own creations and adventures through making steampunk items, what I collect for the projects and where I get the raw materials from.  I don't intend on taking any credit for inventing any of the techniques that I will employ and I will try to give credit to the people and organizations that I borrow from.  I'll also try to post some of my own photos and artwork as I'm gathering thoughts my very random thoughts and ideas.

Thanks for stepping around the corner to watch the airship as it lifts into the mist and takes me on my journey through steam.

No comments:

Post a Comment