Saturday, March 3, 2012

New Goggle Project: Part 3

I forgot to post images of the screw pattern that I drilled into the body of these goggles when I was working on them before any of the paint was added.  You can see that I just used small Phillips head screws in regular intervals all around the face of the goggles.  This was pretty easy to achieve because there was a pattern of plastic fins on the inside of the goggles presumably to make them a little stronger near the lens plate.



The next find that I added came from a couple of old cameras I found at a thrift store and then disassembled just for the parts.  The cameras were from the '80s and, in fact, one was a disk camera.  A sort of a camera technology cul de sac to be sure.  There might have been more useful stuff inside an older camera but these were cheap to buy and I didn't feel bad about salvaging what I wanted out of them.  Warning: these things consumed quite a bit of time just trying to figure out how to take apart fully.  It sounds much easier than it really is.  These are the gears I took out and sanded a place on the lens plate to glue them down onto.


One of the gears is plastic and the other two are metal of some sort and after attaching with 5 minute epoxy I will paint back over with the metallic silver to make everything look like one mechanism.


I'm going to use a longer screw to put through the hole in the middle top of the plate to both secure the two sections of the goggles again like the plastic rivet did before but I am going to leave enough sticking out the front to give a way to add loupes later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment