Monday, September 10, 2012

Studio Conversion and Light Box Set Up


The art studio that we are using now for a lot of work is an old garage that was probably built in the 50's or 60's that we have converted into a working studio.  It was quite a feat because one entire side of the structure had rotted and collasped from years of neglect and we have not traditionally had much experience with construction.  Like all things though, we just had to work at it and learn as we went.  Now the studio is solid, safe, climate controlled and we can really use it for what we want.  Here are some before and after pics and just the process:








All of this leads up to the new light box in the studio that I made recently to try to upgrade how my photos look for my artwork.  I took a regular cardboard shipping box that measures 16 x 16 x 16 inches and turned it into a mini photo light box.  I bought thin white sheets that I cut up for the side panels and three natural light bulbs that are each 100 watts to punch the light into that small space.  It seems to be working really well for now but I can find more ways to improve it as I go forward.


When I make another one it will most likely me bigger so I won't have to worry as much about what will fit inside and plus it will give me more room to move the camera around inside too.  I would also like to find some better lamps with the hoods over the bulbs to direct more light at the sheets.  My friend also tells me that certain types of paper let the light in a little easier plus I read on another story online how you can buy artist velum to use on this type of project to a good effect.  Either way, I have been more than pleased with how my photos are coming out now and I am excited about experimenting with trying different backgrounds and generally just experimenting more with this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment