Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Next Goggle Project

A friend of mine gifted some old welding goggles to me a couple of months ago and I am just now getting a chance to really study them and see what their potential is.  The first goggles are the mask style with a flip up shield which is rectangular and they are marked Sellstrom Z87. 


This kind can always be a real challenge because of the flexible mask which is made of a type of plastic that does not chemically bond to regular paints and leaves them sticky forever no matter what you do.  The only solution I have ever found is to use regular acrylic paints like you would paint onto a canvas then apply rub-n-buff on top of that.  I have not even been able to find a clear coat of any kind that you can seal the other paints with because even the clear acrylics I've tried have turned sticky as well.  Maybe you could screw down enough bits of metal objects that you couldn't see the green and just go that route (maybe later).


I don't have a real plan in mind for these yet aside from washing them really well to try to get any grease, oil and dirt off the plastic so I can start painting.  Although, since the flip section on the front is made of the harder plastic that can be spray painted I may cover the rest of the mask and try giving it a good coat of Fusion spray paint.


With the green mask portion being so soft and flexible I haven't decided if I will add very much to it yet, plus, it has a really interesting shape anyway which may really benefit from a silver/black tarnished paint job.  I would like to add a lot of stuff to the front especially on that flat plate over the eyes.  Also keeping the "flip" intact would be fun too.



No comments:

Post a Comment