Thursday, November 3, 2011

Realist Weight

My friend, Paula, brought up an interesting point when I was talking to her about steampunking the plastic dart gun that I have.  She wanted to know what I was going to do to make the gun feel more realistic.  It was a good question which I had not really considered.  After all, even with some paint and a few extra items glued on here and there there would still be a fake sort of lightness to it when you wielded it.  Thus my next find was going inside the gun to make it feel a little heavier.  I went to the Harbor Freight and bought a pack of wheel weights.

These weights have their own self adhesive backing that I tried to use to adhere them to the inside of the gun halves but eventually I ended up having to use the 5 minute epoxy to secure them.  Enough of the 1/4 oz bits of metal and you start to get a real heft to the gun.  I also had to be careful not to block any internal moving parts that I still wanted to work like the trigger.  The next pic shows the first set of weights that I put in the gun but I did add some more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment