Monday, November 14, 2011

The Rush to Get Ready for the Event

I asked my friends if their daughter, Lauren, would be interested in a pair of her own steampunk goggles a few days ago.  She had made her own halloween costume out of some everyday stuff and the pictures of it were really impressive.  I was quickly told that she would really love to have her own pair of goggles so I started the hunt to find some of the cup style goggles to work on.

I thought it would be easier to finish these quickly since they would be smaller canvases than the one that I had created for myself.  Finding them at a store ended up being quite a feat in itself though.  I finally ordered two pair from a seller on eBay but I did eventually find out that one of the local Ace Hardware stores carries this style of goggle. 


My partner had ended up mentioning during this part of the process that he would like to have a set of steampunk goggles of his own thus the reason I ordered two goggles to work on before the Renaissance Festival. 

Here is what the work space started to look like.   



I epoxied on wing nuts on one set of goggles then acorn nuts onto the other one.  I tried a few different things this time around too like trying to glue most of the stuff on first then painting later. 


These pictures mostly show the goggles I did for Lauren because I ended up being in sucha hurry on the last day before the festival that i didn't take as many picture of the other pair as I would have liked.  The views here show the stuff I glued onto the side vents which could already turn on a center axis so it gives a little more potential motion to the gears.

 The only thing I'm not thrilled about are the elastic bands thatcame with the goggles.  They do the job of keeping the goggles in place but I would have preferred using leather straps again on these.



No comments:

Post a Comment