Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Vacuum Tube Connections

I realized pretty early on that I would need a way to add my vacuum tubes to my steampunk projects that included something more than just glue.  I decided that the best thing to do would be to make my own plugs for these to insert into.  I went with a type of jewellery clay called Pardo by Viva Decor.  This comes in packs of small round pieces of clay that can be worked into the proper shape then baked to a hard finished substance.


I found what I needed at the local craft store and bought a metallic copper color just in case I decided not to paint the connectors black.  When working these lumps of clay you really have to add quite a bit of water to help them soften up and then just keep kneeding and rolling until you end up with a very soft, pliable version of the original.  I ended up taking a lot more time to do this on my second attempt but the main goal is to make sure that the clay will shape easily when you are ready to try out the vacuum tubes.  I finally ended up with a somewhat barrell shaped piece of clay that I "plugged" the tube down into and then removed so that I had the impression of the metal wires from the bottom of the tube.  I then placed this in the oven for about twenty minutes or so and after it had cooled I was left with a connection for my radio tube. 


Now I was able to plug and unplug the vacuum tube which fit pretty securely into the connector and I could then use some five minute epoxy to glue this onto my steampunk item.  I could also remove the tube anytime I needed for storage or other purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment